Thursday, January 25, 2007

A few words

I wanted to say a few words about the requirements for building the lessons from my blog. First of all I'm working on a Windows box and wont be doing very much testing on the other platforms. The code is mostly cross-platform so it should compile and run just fine on Linux or Mac OS X. I'll try to point out places where I've used platform specific code.

Next you will need the D compiler. There are two choices at the moment, the DMD from DigitalMars and GDC a GCC based compiler from here.

You also need the shared library for your platform from the SDL website.

I use Derelict for OpenGL and SDL bindings. You can grab them from there or do as I do and use DSSS, the D Shared Software System.

After that you should be ready to go.

Please note, that I'm not going to go over how you can compile a D program or the basic usage of the SDL library. For those problems there are already very good documentation on the net. Google is your friend.